32 million adults in the UK have no connection with a church
We provide limited funding for church planters but most are self-financing. Church planters find various ways of obtaining support and live simply.
CPI and our supporters provide Planter care services and start-up grants to help our plants be successful, investing £72,094 in the financial year ending April 2017. (2016: 65,262)
CPI is a low cost organisation. We depend on private donors, trusts and sponsoring organisations to cover everything from funding staff to publishing books to office supplies. These donors are some of our most dedicated: their investment fuels our long term mission.
Our costs include
- Funding staff
- Producing resources like our book “Fresh Shoots” and other advertising material,
- Promoting CPI at events.
- Subsidising training for members of the network,
- Providing emergency finances for Church planters.
So far in 2017…
- We are pleased to report our strategy of encouraging Hub meetings to multiply is working so that we now have six meetings in four regions of England.
- Our Hubs report they support at least 60 locations variously classified as pioneer, revitalisation, mother-daughter or multi-site. Not all initiatives become churches.
- We are delighted to report that one of our church plants is already planting again so CPI will support this 19 year old church planting apprentice. We welcomed this new Network Member so 7 locations receive financial grants at the time of reporting.
- Our Annual Network Review of grant-aided churches reported 24 conversions, 11 Baptisms, 58 leaders, and nearly 2500 community contacts from young churches whose median size is 29 attenders.
In England we hope to begin Hubs in the North East, Yorkshire & Humber, East Midlands, East England and South East. CPI does not want to build a denominational structure and in any event is limited in its operational capacity, and so the way towards achieving the purpose of church planting over a wider area of the UK is through establishing CPI Hubs.
2018-2021 Church Planting Fund GOAL = £120,000 per year
The Church Planting Fund provides unrestricted funding for
- Church Planting Services
- Church Planting Support and Care
- Church Planting Research and Development
We raise operations funding through investors, trusts and in-kind donations.
Our investors are donors who recognise the impact of a major gift to our operations. Like any organisation we need investors to believe and invest in our model. Our largest operations gifts have come from other trusts. When trustees are closing down trusts there may be an opportunity from substantial gifts to provide for church planting. That happened in 2011 when CPI received its largest gift so far. We’re grateful to the Trustees for their belief in our work.
We are deeply appreciative of the ongoing support from J W Laing Trust and Church Growth Trust.
Gifts in Kind
From technology to office equipment, much of what our staff use is donated by generous people. We are grateful to those who provide equipment and materials to help us get the job done with quality and style.
Where your funds go
Your donation can be used for
1) national operations,
2) regional work of church planters.
The gifts given by you, are given on the understanding that the trustees have the authority to allocate the gifts and any reclaimed tax. However please let us know whether your gift is to be used for national operations or the regional work of church planters. Please select from our list of church planters.
Our accounts are audited annually by an external accountancy firm and submitted to the Charity Commission of England and Wales. You can see how the regulator thinks we are doing by clicking here
Provide an ongoing flow of support. Making a monthly gift is an easy and safe way to have a continuing impact on our work to expand nationally or in a region of your choice.
Please make cheques payable to Church Planting Intiative” and send to:
Ian Smith, CPI Accounts, 78 Muir Street, MOTHERWELL, ML1 1BN
You can transfer money to our account using these details:
If you are a personal donor who pays UK income tax, then please consider using Gift Aid. The refund of tax from the government adds 25% to the value of your gift. All that is required on your part is a simple declaration which can be requested by leaving a message at 07599 295282
Donate a legacy
Have a truly lasting impact on our work and gain financial and tax benefits for you and your family. Request examples of forms of wording that you may consider using in your will by leaving a message at 07599 295282
(Source: Tearfund Churchgoing in the UK 2007)
“Two thirds of UK adults (66%) or 32.2 million people have no connection with church at present (nor with another religion). These people are evenly divided between those who have been in the past but have since left (16 million) and those who have never been in their lives (16.2 million). This secular majority presents a major challenge to churches. Most of them – 29.3 million – are unreceptive and closed to attending church; churchgoing is simply not on their agenda.”